Friday, September 15, 2006

Death of Oriana Fallaci


The Italian writer and journalist Oriana Fallaci has died in Florence, Italy, aged 77, Corriere della Sera reports.

As a journalist, she interviewed many prominent figures on the world political arena, including Henry Kissinger, General Giap, Golda Meir, Yasser Arafat, King Hussein of Jordan, Indira Gandhi, Alì Bhutto, Pietro Nenni, Giulio Andreotti, Giorgio Amendola, Archbishop Makarios and Alekos Panagulis. Her writings on fascism, totalitarianism and Islamism became known worldwide, and her books were translated into 30 languages.

Of her basic attitude, she said: "...I participate in what I see or feel as though it affected me personally, and I had to take a position (in fact I always take one that is based on a precise moral choice)."

No comments: