BBC: Russia has confirmed it will supply Syria with anti-ship cruise missiles, Russian media report.
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
The interesting blog of Swedish military historian and defence analyst Lars Gyllenhaal continues to provide thought-provoking insights into aspects of Nordic and European security, past and present. with references to little-known and little-publicized historical, literary and other documentary sources. Among recent posts to the blog are:
- a review of a book called If Germany Had Won -- 53 Alternative Scenarios, with a chapter containing speculations on questions such as what might have happened if Sweden had been drawn into the Winter War of 1939-40, or had said no to Hitler in 1941.
- a dissection and general Fisking of the 9/11 “Truth Movement”, with some unexpected words from Noam Chomsky.
- an examination of Russia’s new defence policy in the light of a recent BBC report, and a look at one puzzling recent development.
Monday, September 13, 2010
IAEA Director-General Yukiya Amano has said that Iran is preventing nuclear inspectors from carrying out their work in the country, and has appointed a new top investigator, Herman Nackaerts, to replace Olli Heinonen, who resigned from the IAEA earlier this year. (Reuters)
Thursday, September 09, 2010
Tuesday, September 07, 2010
- Israel’s defence minister Ehud Barak went to Russia on Sunday in a bid to halt an arms deal between Russia, Syria and Iran.
- On Monday Ehud Barak signed an arms deal between Israel and Russia
- On Monday the IAEA complained that Iran is preventing some of its inspectors from monitoring Iran’s nuclear program.
- On Tuesday the head of Iran’s nuclear program claimed that Iran has the right to bar some UN inspectors.
- According to IDF sources, NGOs are planning to sail up to 20 ships to Gaza in coming months.
Saturday, September 04, 2010
Russian and world Muslims demand the establishment of an independent Palestinian state, says Chief of the Council of Russian Muftis Sheikh Rawi Ayn al-Din.
The chief of Russia's highest Islamic institution made the remarks during a Friday prayer sermon in Moscow also attended by Iran's ambassador to Russia and an accompanying delegation.