Friday, April 08, 2005

Celebration

From today's RFE/RL Newsline:

AIR DEFENSE COMMANDER PROMISES TO SHOOT DOWN THREATENING AIRCRAFT.

Colonel General Yurii Solovev said on 7 April that his forces will shoot down any suspicious aircraft near Moscow during the upcoming celebrations of the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II, even if the planes have passengers onboard, newsru.com and other media reported. Solovev is responsible for the air defense of Moscow. He said: "I will not allow anything to crash into Moscow. Besides, if I do not shoot down an aircraft with terrorists [and passengers], they will put me in handcuffs, and if I do do it, they will [also put me in handcuffs]. So, I already made my choice." He added that during the celebration, more than 20 fighters will patrol the skies. Meanwhile, Duma Defense Committee Chairman Vladimir Vasiliev said on 7 April that the possible destruction of a passenger aircraft with terrorists onboard will soon be incorporated into the Russian law on terrorism. VY

No comments: