Saturday, February 25, 2006

Burning-Point Of Oceans

Burning-Point Of Oceans

by Pia Tafdrup
 


“No Fishing”
it says there on the sign beside the curved ocean,
but I have just caught
a whale
without being swallowed ―
it’s the words that hold the whale in my mouth now.
In the light,
which is grey like human ashes,
I think about the whale’s being
– realize,
while the earth is kissed
by metal-hot rain,
that nothing is what I have expected.
There is no other centre in a seasick world
than everything that freely moves ...
What did the whale’s
eye catch?
From the primordial sea it threatened me
with a crater’s joy,
with holy shamelessness.
To my relief it fills
infinitely more than my own life,
when I dream about it
– or in order to exhaust the realm of the possible
encounter it fever-naked
and notice
as the miraculous glows and hurts,
that I’m losing my soul in its soul,
because it is losing its in mine.




(my translation from Danish)

Pia Tafdrup

No comments: