…although mortally wounded, communism has not been eradicated from the face of the Earth. Its remains persist in several major forms:
- as a barely breathing but still ruling political system in China, North Korea, Vietnam, and Cuba;
- as political structures left by communism such as the KGB and party apparatus in Russia and many other former Soviet countries which either control or share power;
- as power structures propped up or created by the Soviet Union in its extended empire in places such as Palestine, Iraq, Angola, etc.;
- as the world terrorist network created mainly by the KGB in its fight against democracy;
- and finally, as an ideology not completely disavowed which still spoils cultural academic and political life in our country and the entire Western world.
Yuri Yarim-Agaev (2006)